Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

My seventeen year old son was convicted of felony pot

Customer Question

my seventeen year old son was convicted of felony pot charge, the police department has ss. card I need it back so I can get medical coverage for him. they are holding it , what can I do? do I get him a new one?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced criminal lawyer.

As your son is a minor, unless the prosecutor needs the social security card for evidence, you should be able to get the card released from the police or have your son's lawyer obtain it from the prosecutor.

Do you know why they are holding his card?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No that's the part I don't know why cause it's not a folgeray or identity theft! He was just cot with some pot two small bags, they never took him in to custody, we went to court he got probation which he is doing! I just don.t get it? Why?
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.

It sounds like your son was already sentenced for this crime. If he was incarcerated, then the police may have taken his property for safekeeping and given him a voucher. If so he can claim his property with identification.

If not, you can contact either his lawyer or the prosecutor who handled the case and ask for the release of his social security card.