Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

I am currently doing work release n piked up a petty theft

Customer Question

I am currently doing work release n piked up a petty theft charge but it was because my friend eho was w me had my bag from pharmacy n put makeup in it w out ne seeing than gave it back as we walked out door so therefor i got blamed i do not have any felonies
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.

What are you out on work release for? Is it a misdemeanor? And what is the question you wish to have answered here?

Once I have a better sense of what your situation is and what you need to know, I will be able to post an answer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I got work release for driving on a suspended liceanse 2× yes its a misdeameanor never had a felony and on informal probation my ? Is #1 when i go to sign back up for work release today cuz i missed due to drs appt can they arrest me again? And when i show up for my court date will they take me into custody also have paperwork showing iv been going to alot of drs appt because they r doing alot of testing on me to see if i may have cervical cancer.
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the prompt response.

You have two issues here. One is the new arrest and the other are the doctor's appointments. Both could jeopardize your work release. In either case, it's possible, unfortunately, that you could be taken into custody.

I would hope that the paperwork would be sufficient to prevent your being arrested because of the doctor's appointment. But you can also talk to your doctor about your signing a release form, so that he can talk to probation or the court about your medical condition. That way they not only can see that you had appointments but they can more fully understand the importance and the frequency of the appointments. If you don't have time to do that before you have to sign up with work release today, you can let them know that you're willing to get a release to your doctor so that they can understand why the medical appointments can't really wait.

The petty larceny is more likely to be a problem. They can arrest you on your court date for the violation of your work release conditions. I don't know that they will, but it's a real possibility. You need to get a hold of your lawyer and make sure he or she can be present on your court date to make an argument for your continued liberty while you fight the new case.