How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 26449
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We are being sued Contempt, not by a judge but by a neighbor

Customer Question

We are being sued for Criminal Contempt, not by a judge but by a nasty neighbor who wants our home. From what I am reading, a contempt charge should be from the judge, is this correct?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.


The alleged violation of a protective order is a criminal contempt charge that can be triggered by the complainant protected by the order. The order itself was issued by the judge. That's why its violation is a form of contempt.

I believe this should answer your question. If your neighbor does not have an order against you, please reply with your situation.

Related Criminal Law Questions