Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

My son is in jail and he has charges with all kinds of penal

Customer Question

My son is in jail and he has charges with all kinds of penal codes I don't understand all of them and why there are so many penal codes on one charge I need to know if I need to get him a lawyer can you please help me
Category: Criminal Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you want his name so you can see his charges
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.

This is a public website, so it's not a good idea to put your son's name and other personal identifying details about him such as his date of birth on the web. But if you just type the various penal codes he is charged with, I can tell you the ones you don't understand.

A DA confers with the police and then determines the charges that an alleged offender will be facing. When they do that, they will charge a person with every conceivable crime the evidence makes out that they think they may be able to prove. In that way, if the case goes to trial and the defendant gets acquitted of one charge, there are still several other chances for the DA to get a conviction.

Many of these charges may all be the same offense but just a different way of looking at it. Some counts are just the lesser included offenses of other counts. For example, if someone is charged with an armed robbery, the DA will also separately charge the possession of the weapon, a lower level of robbery, and the assault, which are all components of the armed robbery. If the defendant is convicted of the armed robbery, the other counts are dropped. But if he's acquitted of the robbery, he could still be convicted of some of the lesser charges.

Anyway, lesser included charges are most commonly why there are so many penal codes mentioned. But once I know the codes, I can be more specific.