Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Numerous criminal trials ranging from traffic to murder, practicing Criminal Law for 20+ years.
11068102

My question involves criminal law state of: Texas I was a

Customer Question

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Texas
I was a medical assistant at a doctors office and I gave a patient a prescription that the doctor had already signed. I was then charged. Am I looking at prison time or probation? No previous offenses.
Submitted: 1 year ago via ExpertLaw.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Further, if you get a message asking if you want to do additional services like a telephone call that message is automatically generated by the website and is not sent from me. I, like most of the experts in the Legal categories, do not do telephone calls due to issues with State Bar rules and other concerns.

If you do not have any prior offenses then the chances are 80% or better that you will receive an offer of probation since that is about the correct percentage of probation offers made on first offenses. Usually the only first offenses that don't receive an offer of probation are for violent offenses and those involving children.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response. Do you know how many years probation I could be looking at?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also can it be plead down from a felony to a criminal misdemeanor
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

There's no way to tell that. Some DAs insist on a maximum, some will take minimum, and others in between.

There is always a possibility of a plea to a lesser charge. You want to hire a lawyer ASAP and they may be able to get a plea to a deferred adjudication and that would enable you to escape without a conviction on your record.