AttyDort
AttyDort, Litigation Attorney
Experience:  Criminal and Civil jury trial expeirence; 17 yrs exp in state and federal courts.
67981144

12 years ago I recieved a felony burglary in CA. I had the

Customer Question

12 years ago I recieved a felony for residentual burglary in CA. I had the felony expunged and sealed and now I live in New Mexico. Is there steps I can take to restore my gun rights?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  AttyDort replied 1 year ago.

There probably is nothing you can do to change the conviction record as it exists now in California under these limited facts.

However, .....

The law on how those convictions are labeled as in California has changed this year.

This is my only suggestion:

Try a Proposition 47 Petition to have that felony reduced to a misdemeanor, and then re-expunge it as a misdemeanor.

I know it sounds like a joke, but it is a real procedure for non violent felony convictions of many types now. Here is an article on the subject: http://trafficcourtpros.com/blog/get-felony-reduced-misdemeanor-prop-47-now/

Hope this helps.