Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

I have a friend arrested .5mg Xanax. VA with disabilities

Customer Question

Hi, i have a friend arrested for 8 .5mg Xanax. VA with disabilities pension hell lose of convicted of Felony. Make to too much for public defender. Advice? He's literally paralyzed with depression. First offense.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced criminal lawyer.

You need to make sure that your friend gets representation. If he can afford a lawyer he needs one. On a first arrest, particularly if he has a substance abuse issue, there are special programs for first drug offenders that would allow him to get help with a drug dependency and at the same time allow him to come out of the case without a conviction. Drug court, for example, is one of those options. And, of course, a lawyer may be able to negotiate a reduction in the charges if the facts and circumstances of the case are sympathetic.

Typically, unless your friend was selling Xanax to a minor or selling on school grounds, states now see a first drug arrest as an opportunity to get a defendant help. I can't tell him not to be worried, but the odds of him being able to resolve his case and still keep his disabilities pension are good.