Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

Reasons out of grand jury duty?

Customer Question

reasons for getting out of grand jury duty?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) please wait to rate until I ask you to do so. It may take a few replies for me to be able to render an complete answer. I will let you know when I do.

What state is this in, please? And is this for federal or state court (or not sure)?

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
New York state . State grand jury.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. The exemptions/disqualifications from (grand) jury duty in NY are:

1) Not being a US Citizen
2) Not being 18 years of age
3) Not being a resident of the county to which you are summoned to serve
4) Not being able to understand and communicate in the English language
5) Not have been convicted of a felony
6) Having a financial or medical hardship (if so, tell me what county so I can give more information on this)

The juror summoned is presumed to be fit for jury duty until/unless the Judge sees otherwise if the potential juror asks for an exemption/excuse to be let go.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.