Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

If a person has been charged with a robbery, can the

Customer Question

if a person has been charged with a robbery, can the prosecutor drop the robbery in the middle of trial and use arm burlary as the primary offense using the language of a robbery, and can a person be charged with two assualts on the same individual.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced criminal lawyer.

If the defendant was charged with a burglary as well as the robbery and there were also assault counts on the docket then, yes, the prosecutor can go for the burglary and assault convictions. Prosecutors frequently charge multiple counts for just a reason like this, to give him more than one bite of the apple. If he can't get the robbery conviction, a jury may still convict on the burglary or assault charge.

If this is not what you mean, let me know.