Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor
26296561

My son was driving a car at the mall, s friend jumped out

Customer Question

Hi, my son was driving a car at the mall, his friend jumped out the front passenger seat, and armed robbery amother kid with a Beebe gun, stole his wallet aND backpack, my son claimed he was not aware his friend was planning a robbery, my son is on vedio driving, however the passenger picture is blurry, the victim can identify both driver and perp, the cops want my son to testify against his friend or charge him as a codependent to armed robbery
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is***** will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

What is your legal question for me?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My son is 16 years old, and was a unaware driver involved in a armed robbery, the passenger. The passenger approach an individual in the mall parking lot July 15, 2015, sacramento, robbed the victim of cash, wallet, jewelry using a Beebe gun. They were recorded on mall surveillance, my son is visible in the drivers seat, not Committing a crime, however the passenger picture is blury, the victim identify my son as dread locks, he does not have dreads. 2nd. The detective came to my house this morning, and want to see my son's face to compare with pics from surveillance, it's him.from what I see,my son did not meet with the cop..he wants my son to identify the robber his friend, as a witness, my son fears his friend will kill him, knowing he is a witnessed. Detective will return Friday, not sure of the next step??

Thank you for your follow up.

Did your son allow the "friend" back into the car after armed robbery and drove away with the "friend"?

Did you hire an experienced local criminal defense attorney to represent your son?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he did allow him in the car after the armed robbery.no have not hired local attorney yet

Thank you for your follow up.

Generally, if the person drives someone to an armed robbery and then allows the person who committed an armed robbery back into the vehicle, such person would be considered equally liable for the armed robbery and would likely be charged as an adult with a felony armed robbery.

Armed robbery is a serious felony and carries up to 15 years in prison upon conviction, so it is extremely important for someone like your son who is suspected of participation in an armed robbery, not to make any statements to police and to consult and hire an experienced local criminal defense attorney right away and to have this attorney handle any issues related to the alleged crime.

I wish you the best of luck and please let me know if you have any related follow up questions.

Do you have any related follow up questions for me? If not please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.

Thank you and good luck!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Few last questions, what if he denies bein at the scene and if he r denies giving up the perp, robber.
. The witnesses Said the driver had dreadlocks, my son has regular hair..if the detective sees my son friday, and believe it's him in the picture, will he arrest him?, and should he just be a witness and give up the robber, and have him cleared? Can you refer a good attorney in sacramento?

Thank you for your follow up.

While I cannot comment on your son's specific case, generally, it is never a good idea for someone who was involved in a crime to speak with the police, since police will say and do anything to extract incriminating statements and anything that someone who was involved in a crime say, will only be used against the person being questioned by the police and police does not decide which suspect becomes a witness and which is charged with the crime, as it is up to the prosecutor to make that determination and an experienced local criminal defense attorney can negotiate such deal with the prosecutor (if it is an option in the case), where a person who was involved in the crime, does not get charge or is charged with a less serious crime, in exchange for testimony against the main suspect.

Keep in mind, that a person has the right to remain silent and not to talk to the police, so police cannot force someone to speak to them and someone who is a potential suspect / person of interest should never speak to the law enforcement, without his/her local criminal defense attorney present.

I am not permitted to refer JustAnswer.com customers to specific attorneys or law firms, however, you can find an experienced local criminal defense attorney by using this reputable and reliable attorney information / referral websites:

www.justia.com

www.lawyers.com

www.lexmundi.com

www.avvo.com

I wish you the best of luck!