CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Experience:  9+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.
9540344

The FBI has been investigating me. When will they most

Customer Question

Hi the FBI has been investigating me. When will they most likely arrest me?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. What are they investigating you for? Have you spoken with them? Do you have an attorney?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fraud. I have not spoken to them but they have access to all of my personal accounts and were following me and controlling the television that I watch. I do not have an attorney.

When they feel they have gathered all they can on the alleged fraud and think they have a solid case, they would make an arrest. The problem is that they are never going to really tell you, since you could be a flight risk and if they want to prosecute, need to know where you are and where to find you. They may think you will panic and leave the State or Country, so there is no way that they tell you. Now, if you retain an attorney, they can speak with the FBI on your behalf and see exactly what is going on and possible try and work with them to resolve or settle this or at least get a chance to speak with them and see if they are going to proceed. You certainly do not want to speak with them on your own. Keep in mind that there is also a statute of limitations. That is the time in which they have to charge. Under United States Code 18 Section 3282, the statute of limitations for most federal crimes is five years.

The federal statute of limitations can be longer than five years for certain crimes, including:

• Federal tax evasion (U.S. Code 26 Section 7201) – 6 years
  • Failure to file a tax return with the I.R.S. (U.S. Code 26 Section 7203) – 6 years
  • Major fraud involving at least $1 million against the federal government (U.S. Code 18 Section 1031) – 7 years
  • Non-violent violations of federal terrorism laws (U.S. Code 18 Section 3286(a)) – 8 years
  • Arson (U.S. Code 18 Section 3295) – 10 years
  • Embezzling funds from a federal financial institution (U.S. Code 18 Section 657) – 10 years
  • Using false or fraudulent citizenship papers (U.S. Code 18 Section 1423) – 10 years
  • Theft of major artwork (U.S. Code 18 Section 3294) – 20 years

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.