CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Experience:  10+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.
9540344

I have three tickets. 1.leaving the scene of a property

Customer Question

I have three tickets. 1.leaving the scene of a property damage accident
2.failure to report an accident
3.failure to reduce speed to avoid an accident
I was not arrested the next day when the officer found me and gave me the tickets but when I go to court can I still be arrested ?? How serious are these tickets...will I just pay the fines or go to jail?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. These are criminal offenses and they do carry jail time. If the Officer wanted to arrest you, he would have when he found you and taken you in, instead of issuing you the citations. However, you do need to decide if you want to fight these and make the State prove the charges against you or if you think it is in your best interest to take a plea deal and resolve the case. If you are a first time offender, the prosecution should not seek any jail time. If anything, you would be looking at a fine, court costs, restitution and maybe probation. Now, if you go to trial and lose, then the Judge may decide to impose some jail time but it is at their discretion.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.