How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 25461
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 19 year old grandson was assaulted over 14 years ago when

Customer Question

My 19 year old grandson was assaulted over 14 years ago when he was 5 and the other boy was 14 he wants to file charges what should he do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.


My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced criminal lawyer.

In order to file charges one must go to the police in the jurisdiction where the incident occurred, file a formal report and make it clear that he wants charges to be pressed against his assailant. The state of Virginia has no statute of limitations on a felony assault, so the case is not too old to be prosecuted. Whether the prosecutor will take the matter on after all of this time is another matter. Sometimes very old cases are too difficult for the state to prove beyond a reasonable doubt, which is the state's burden on a criminal case.

But your grandson gets this under way by reporting it to the police and making his intentions to prosecute known.

Related Criminal Law Questions