Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

I was convicted of battery in 1999. I have to register as a

Customer Question

I was convicted of sexual battery in 1999. I have to register as a sex offender.
In 2014 I was granted a Certificate of Rehabilitation and a pardon.
I got a letter from the Department of Justice stating that I was granted a pardon not a full pardon; therefore I have to continue to register because I did not get a full pardon.
What is my next step to get a full pardon or a clemency because of my physical conditions. I am wheel chair bound and have right sided hearth failure.
Eric XXXXXXXXX
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

You need to first apply to the court for for waiver of registration requirement. If the court will not waive that requirement, which they have a right to do, then you have to apply to the governor's office for the full pardon and relief from disabilities. Those are the two options that you have here to remove the registration disability. It does require a full pardon or a court order to relieve you from the registration requirement I am afraid.