Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

I am needing some advice

Customer Question

Hi I am needing some advice
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.

Good morning,

My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced criminal lawyer.

This is a well-known scam. Do not return the calls. Do not have anything further to do with this person and her so-called parents. If you call, this will result in a money demand. That's blackmail and a crime. If you are unwise enough to pay it, these people will have control over you for the rest of your life.

If you ignore them, they lose that power, because they don't really want to report you. What they want is your money. In order to report you, the "girl" would have to confess to a crime too. And frankly, there are people who lurk on chat rooms and pretend to be underaged just to try to blackmail someone like you.

These folks are not the police. If this were an undercover sting they wouldn't call you and claim to be a parent. They would show up at your door with a warrant for your arrest. They are blackmailers, plain and simple.

Ignore them. Block phone calls from them. In the unlikely event that you hear from law enforcement, do not discuss this incident until you have retained a criminal lawyer.