Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer
Experience:  13 years experience in criminal law, BA in criminal justice
20355756

CAN A HUNTERSVILLE POLICE PULL YOU OVER IN CHARLOTTE REASON

Customer Question

CAN A HUNTERSVILLE POLICE PULL YOU OVER IN CHARLOTTE FOR ANY REASON
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Legalease replied 1 year ago.

Hello there --

-

While there is no general right of every police officer to act as a police officer no matter where the officers are assigned to / employed by, there are certain situations in which a police officer from one town/city or county can pull over a driver in a different town or city or county. first, there can be a situation where one town or city is short staffed and so the town managers will loan police officers out to each other until such personnel crises are over. In such situations, the officers always wear the uniforms of their own police department and also use their own cruisers as well. Second, a police officer who begins pursuing a suspect in one jurisdiction can follow through and continue the pursuit into another jurisdiction (the officer may legally pursue and stop/detain a suspect in another city town or county). The 'pursuit" does not have to be a high speed frantic chase or something like that -- it can simply be a normal traffic stop that spills from one city or town or county to the next.

=

If you continue to have doubts regarding the legal authority of the officer to make the stop, you can follow the procedures on any ticket for a hearing date on the matter. At the hearing, you can bring up this issue and the judge will question the officer about his location and what gave the officer the justification to make a stop outside his or her normal jurisdiction.

=

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any follow up questions on this issue. If not, can you please press a positive rating at the top of this page in the ratings section so I will be paid for my time. I am paid nothing unless you press the middle star or the fourth or fifth star on the right hand side of the ratings section above. Doing so will not cost you any additional money -- it simply acts as the trigger to Just Answer to pay me for my time assisting you tonight. THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!

MARY

Expert:  Legalease replied 1 year ago.

Hello there --

I notice that you reviewed the answer I gave to you above and you have not asked any follow up questions or pressed a rating to conclude the session. Please let me know if you have any follow up questions on this issue. If not, can you please press a positive rating at the top of this page in the ratings section so I will be paid for my time?? I am paid nothing unless you press the middle star or the fourth or fifth star on the right hand side of the ratings section above. Doing so will not cost you any additional money -- it simply acts as the trigger to Just Answer to pay me for my time assisting you with this question and answer. Finally, even if you press a positive rating to close out this portion of the question, you can continue to ask any follow up questions related to the original question for as long as you like without additional charges. THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!

MARY