How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 101532
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Do i need a lawyer if 1 got caught with 10 grams of pot at a

Customer Question

do i need a lawyer if 1 got caught with 10 grams of pot at a stste park
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about your situation. Yes, one needs an attorney. Possession of marijuana in a park in Michigan is punishable by up to 2 years in prison and/or a $2,000 fine. While incarceration is rare for first time, non-violent offenders, the threat of conviction is very real. This would be a misdemeanor, and if convicted, one can have issues finding gainful employment later on, for example.

So yes, an attorney is recommended. The attorney will likely help plead down the charge meaning it would be reduced, and may even help to have it be dropped all-together due to technicality or an agreement with the prosecutor.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.

Related Criminal Law Questions