ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

A friend is on parole of illegal drugs. He has been clean

Customer Question

a friend is on parole for possession of illegal drugs. He has been clean but lately, i suspect he may be starting again. If I call his parole officer to make him aware of my concerns, will my friend be arrested and sent back to jail? I want to help him but not hurt him. What usually happens in a case like this?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. That's hard to say for certain. Generally speaking the parole officer (PO) would consider the statement, the source, the evidence in your source, and could then potentially require a drug test (which is in his/her authority pursuant to the parole terms). The terms likely state that he will abstain from drugs, and it's possible that a violation of those terms could lead to a parole revocation. Generally speaking that's first up to the PO to make a recommendation for parole revocation, then to make that recommendation to the parole board. It's ultimately up to the parole board to see if this is a strong basis for revocation, and would make the determination if it feels that incarceration would be better than any alternative (counselling, rehab, etc...). So calling will not necessarily make him go back to jail. That's many steps removed from calling. But it could set things in motion that ultimately leads to revocation.

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Excellent

My pleasure.If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!