Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

My son is set in Baton Rouge, Louisiana In October on

Customer Question

My son is set for sentencing in Baton Rouge, Louisiana In October on multiple drug charges. I want to write the judge a letter asking for some type of program where he can get a trade and rehab because he sale drugs and use I need help writing this letter as well as knowing the resources available to him
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this. I am providing a sample letter below. However, note that in most sentencing cases, the Court would want to hear directly from a witness testifying either for the prosecutor or the defendant before rendering their decision. Also, programs are generally run by the jail/prison services.

Sample below:

To the Honorable Court:

My name is ***** ***** am the defendant's mother. I am asking today that the Court would consider leniency and a specialized skills program in sentencing my son for his actions.

The Court knows the Defendant only for his bad deeds, but he has also done plenty of good in his life. (list examples) As such, I ask the Court for leniency in his sentencing.

I understand that our society demands justice, but at the same time, is not part of the reason for incarceration rehabilitation? Under this premise, I ask that the Court consider placing my son into a program to help him acquire a trade that would help him in his life, and would keep him on the straight path and away from criminal behavior.

Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,

Signature

Name

I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.