How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 24505
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need help writing a letter to the judge that my addict son

Customer Question

I need help writing a letter to the judge that my addict son is going to go in front of. My son is going to die if he doesn't get help now. He was caught shop lifting. How do I ask a judge to make my addict son go to inpatient treatment.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.


My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced New York State attorney.

I know what you have asked for, but you may or may not be able to accomplish what you want. He may not be eligible to go into inpatient treatment and/or he may be eligible but not interested. So answer the following questions for me, please.

Is his shoplifting matter a misdemeanor or a felony? If a felony, does he have any prior felony convictions? If a misdemeanor, how much is the value of the property that he is alleged to have stolen? If he's served a jail sentence before, how much time has he done?

Most importantly, is he interested in going to long-term inpatient treatment? It may be the very best thing in the world for him, but some people in the grip of an addiction do not want a program, and if your son is one of those, it doesn't matter if you want it for him. He will not take that offer. He'll opt for a little jail rather than a lot of residential treatment. Unfortunately, I've seen it happen all too often, when the defendant has no interest in helping himself.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's a misdemeanor. He has been in jail for 4 months last year. Im not sure if he's interested in treatment. Maybe just doesn't know how to start. Thus why I'd like to write a letter to the judge
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.


You don't need the judge. You can talk to your son's lawyer. If he's in and unable to make bail, he's got a public defender.

Your son's lawyer can run the idea of a treatment program by your son. If he's willing to take it and this case is a misdemeanor, he should be able to get him a plea offer involving treatment from the DA assigned to the case or from the judge.

Most public defender organizations have ties to area treatment programs. If the judge and DA don't want to let him out because of his addiction problem and his criminal history, the lawyer can arrange to get him into a program and also to get him transported to that program so that he doesn't have to be turned loose on the streets where he could get into further trouble.

If you don't know who his lawyer is, contact the clerk of the court and ask him to get it from the court papers. Then call the lawyer.

Related Criminal Law Questions