Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

If my girlfriend left with a car that is in my name can I

Customer Question

If my girlfriend left with a car that is in my name can I call the cops to get it back
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Did you give her the possession of the car or did she take it without your knowledge and consent?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She has been driving it for years now but she has left and has a new boyfriend and refused to give it back till she gets a new car or I buy her one
Thank you for your reply.
The police will not assist on this, it would be considered a civil matter and they will make you go to court and file a civil suit called a "Complaint for Replevin/Detinue and Conversion" in the district court (not small claims) and you would ask the court to order her to return your property or pay you for her property and pay you for the loss of use of the car (conversion).
You will have to file a civil suit against her though to get the car back.