Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

23 counts of grand larceny because of unemployment fraud,

Customer Question

23 counts of grand larceny because of unemployment fraud, can someone get time in jail for that?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced New York criminal defense attorney.
Was each of these counts for a specific occasion when you collected unemployment when you shouldn’t? How much is the total that unemployment says you owe? Do you have any prior criminal convictions? If so, were they felonies?
$10,000 is low bail for a felony charge. That indicates to me that despite the number of counts here, this is likely a first felony arrest. In that instance, and in my experience, although prison is possible for an offense like yours, unless the amount in question is staggeringly large, which I doubt, a lawyer can generally negotiate a pre-indictment deal for you of five years of probation with restitution to the state.
I have represented many of these cases over the years and never seen one where probation was not available, unless the defendant was a predicate felon and ineligible for it.