Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

I was convicted of a felony in 1989 crime in June of 88 and

Customer Question

I was convicted of a felony in 1989 for a crime in June of 88 and received a 33 year sentence. In Feb. of 08 I was charged with felony possession of a fire arm ( my wife's registered gun and given a 6 month state jail sentence. and my parole was revoked. After serving my time 6 months of 6 months Parole decided to reinstate my parole for the 1988 offense. Just this week Parole sent me a letter telling me I owe almost 6 hundred to a crime victims fund. But Iam on parole for a crime from 1988 and only crimes from 1993and later are require to pay that.There was no Parole for the 2008 gun charge only time served and 0 fines and fees. so what can I do since Parole is trying to force me to pay what I do not owe.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You have a right to send a letter first to object to owing the $600. You need to explain why you do not owe the victim fund payment, as your offense was prior to 1993. If the parole board refuses to drop the matter, then your next step is you would need to file a motion in the court where you were convicted to dismiss the crime victim fund payment and the court would be able to issue an order on the payment.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Thank you for your reply.
I apologize but live phone calls, unlike in other sections on JustAnswer.com, can be deemed practice of law which is forbidden by state laws as we do not and cannot represent you in any legal matter. I would be happy to continue with you in this forum if you would like to use reply. Thank you for understanding.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've already talked to the Parole division on the phone including my PO. The Parole office is refusing to obey the law; who do I report them to? nobody is listening to common sense. I was given a 6 month State jail sentence which I served, there was never mention of crime victims fund or restitution - it seems like they think I am on parole for the 2009 offense (that parole ends in 2021) . The 2009 case had a "COURT DISPOSITION 311 ( CONVICTED - LESSER CHARGE )". Not sure if the attached screenshots help. Thank you.
Thank you for your reply.
From reviewing the document, it seems like they are making an administrative error, but since they will not assist you when you contacted them, you have to file a motion in court and present the documentation to the court and the court will issue an order removing the fine. The court can correct this matter and it requires filing a motion to dismiss the fine.