Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

I received a ticket in the handicapped space at my apartment

Customer Question

I received a ticket for parking in the handicapped space at my apartment bldg.the manager she said right away"this is personal property! No cop has given a ticket even in those spaces in the front. the space where I parked is two floors below mine and I've been here for six years. I don't think any other tenant would call it in but I'm told several people know the cop who gave the ticket. I contested it at the court with a hearing officer who just said your're guilty and there is nothing I can do. I left a message for the cop at the station. he hasn't returned my call. everyone in this parking lot has parked there with no repercussions.Is there anything a lawyer cna do. the payment is 500$
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced criminal lawyer.
Unfortunately no, if you did, in fact, park in that spot. It is not a defense that nobody else has gotten a ticket. It's just your bad luck that he wrote you up instead of somebody else.
It's the same as if you were speeding on a highway. The fact that someone else passed you and wasn't arrested is irrelevant.
You can appeal the decision, but unfortunately, I don't see any legal grounds if the spot was marked for the handicapped.
I'd love to tell you what you want to hear, but I cannot, and that's likely also why you can't interest a local lawyer in the matter.