How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CrimDefense Your Own Question
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 26357
Experience:  10+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
CrimDefense is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is my case, My buddy and I was driving and we we're pulled

Customer Question

Hello here is my case,
My buddy and I was driving and we we're pulled over by the police in Farmington Hills MI. The officer smelled weed in the car and asked if we had some. I told him yes me( it was a hakf join) but so instead of taking me me to jail he offered me a deal. He told me if I tipped his detective off on where I buy my weed he wouldn't give me a ticket. So the guy never called me and now I have a warrant for my arrest for posession with intent to sell even though it was a half joint. What are my options here I was thinking if I got my medical marijuana card would they be able to drop the charges
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Or could I talk to the detective and still help him out
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. Getting the card would not help, since you were not legally in possession of the marijuana at the time, so the prosecutor would not likely retroactively say you had legal possession of the marijuana. However, based on the charge, not sure how the State would be able to prove there was an intent to sell, if you simply had half a joint on your person and admitted to it for personal use. Moreover, if the Officer let you go and did not preserve the evidence, there would be no proof. If there is a warrant, you do need to either get it lifted or tun yourself in, for a court date to be set, so you can appear and fight this. If you still know who the detective is, you can reach out and speak with them about cooperating.

Expert:  CrimDefense replied 1 year ago.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I turned myself if what would be the outcome in your opinion because I never heard of police doing that and since they didn't take me to jail how could they have any evidence or anything against me
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 1 year ago.

If you turned yourself in, you would simply need to bond out and appear at your next court date. Since they did not make an arrest, it does not mean the officer did not document this and take the joint as evidence. Of course, when the case is handled, a demand for discovery could be made and it could be known if he actually kept the joint.

Expert:  CrimDefense replied 1 year ago.
Did this help clarify?