How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 32907
Experience:  Numerous criminal trials ranging from traffic to murder, practicing Criminal Law for 20+ years.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son and 2 of s friend were charged with retail theft from

Customer Question

My son and 2 of his friend were charged with retail theft from our local Walmart in June. They were trying to take a bottle of Jack Daniels. They drove themselves to the police station where they were fingerprinted and mug shot were taken. He has a court date in Illinois on 9/1 for a charge of Class A misdemeanor. We think he should plead not guilty but he says they took his statement on the night in question and he admitted his guilt. Should we hire a lawyer?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts.

Yes, you should hire an attorney. A person should always have an attorney in a criminal case and a hired attorney is usually a better choice than a court appointed if you can afford it since you will get more personal attention.

Hiring an attorney will mean that the attorney will examine the statement to see if there are any grounds for suppressing it as well as trying to get the best plea bargain offer possible. Often, if this is a first offense, it can be some type of deal where your son can escape without a conviction on his record assuming he can complete probation with no problems. This can save him a lot of trouble in the future with job searches, etc.

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

To give you an example of how important it is, when attorneys get charged with a crime (DWI seems to be the one that occurs most often, they always hire an attorney rather than handle it themselves. I've personally represented a number of lawyers with charges but it is the one area where a lawyer never represents themselves.