Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

My brother has a warrant in ohio so they won't release s

Customer Question

Hi my brother has a warrant in ohio so they won't release his license. He went to get his license renewed in Ohio and the DMV called the court and asked if they wanted him there and they said no. He wants to move to CA. Can he get his license here?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced criminal lawyer.
No, unfortunately, with an open warrant, your brother will not be able to get a new license anywhere in the country. He has to clear his license in Ohio or he can't drive anywhere else.
States intercooperate when it comes to suspensions of licenses. Every state can see the warrant in the national driver's data base, and they will honor Ohio's hold on his license.
Does he know what this warrant is about? Does he think that the warrant is a mistake because the court doesn't want him? If so, he can get a letter from the prosecutor to the extent that there is no warrant against him, and the DMV can lift their restriction.