Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

I was convicted of a dui (1st offense) in Georgia and I am a

Customer Question

I was convicted of a dui (1st offense) in Georgia and I am a resident of Tennessee. What happens now? Do I get charged in Tennessee also and what do I need to do about my license as far as getting a restricted license. Thanks
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced criminal lawyer.
Georgia cannot suspend your license, because your license was issued by Tennessee. What they can do, however, is to suspend your driving privileges in Georgia. And, of course, you will have other obligations that you must resolve in Georgia with regard to your case in order to get the DUI charge behind you.
Most states belong to the Interstate Driver's Compact, an agreement between member states to keep each other apprised of serious traffic convictions and suspensions and to treat each other's suspensions as their own. Georgia and Tennessee are not members of this compact. That means nobody from Georgia is going to notify Tennessee of your DUI.
Nevertheless, your DUI and any suspension of your driving privileges will be in the national driver's data base. When Tennessee finds that, which they may if you are stopped for a traffic infraction in Tennessee or when you go to renew your Tennessee license, they can suspend your license and require you to jump through additional hoops before you can get your license reinstated. So eventually, Tennessee will notify you about a suspension. It will just take longer for the news to catch up with them.
Once they suspend you, you can see the requirements to get a Tennessee restricted license here:
http://automobiles.uslegal.com/drivers-hardship-license-law/tennessee-drivers-license-hardship-law/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The only thing is when I went to court today in Georgia, they took my license and said that my paperwork would be sent over to Tennessee. So right now I don't have a license and need one to go back and forth to work. I was told I need to get a lawyer to be able to get the restrictions from a judge to get a restricted license. I know about SR-22 which is dealing with insurance I assume.
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.
Right. SR-22 is high risk insurance, which is necessary for a restricted license.
Georgia cannot give you a restricted license to work in Tennessee. Georgia can only give you a hardship license that would allow you to drive in Georgia, which doesn't help you at all. You would need a TN lawyer to petition the TN DMV to allow you to have a restricted license there.