P. Simmons, Lawyer
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including criminal law.
11181181

Im 18 years old o have been downloading material such as

Customer Question

Hello my name is ***** ***** 18 years old o have been downloading sexual material such as porn and some of that was child porn I started it when I was 17 and I keep some videos now I'm 18 and I recently downloaded some other more and the fbi came to my house I had a big collection on videos including really young girls they took my computer and they are conduction an investigation im a urgent trident at North Carolina and I have never been in trouble im really scare and I will love to hear what you think about my situation I have never hurt o been with a child just download it through area?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
Hi, My name is Philip. I am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.
I am truly sorry for your dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. Would it help to chat on the phone?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I started downloading porn through area when I was 17 , I keep the files nevr delete nothing , on these files I had child pornography and all type of porn. I'm 18 now and the fbi came to my house with a warrant and took my pc and now I'm under insvestigion I don't know what to do I don't want to get charge
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
THank you
But I still do not understand your question(s)...I understand you do not want to be charged...but do you have a specific question. Are you asking how the how the criminal process works (assuming you are charged)
I sent the phone offer....would it be easier, perhaps, to chat on the phone?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm just wondering what is going to happen to me if I get charged
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
Thanks
If you are charged, they will likely arrest you.
You would be jailed waiting for trial, but the court would likely set bail.
Your first court hearing would be called the "arraignment" where you would be formally charged (provided notice of the charge(s) you face)
If you can afford an attorney, good idea to hire one for the arraignment so they can help set the trial schedule.
If you can not afford an attorney the court will provide one for you
The judge at the arraignment will set dates for your actual trial, typically several months in the future.
You would be allowed to view the evidence the government has against you, and prepare (with your lawyer) your defense case.
If you are convicted at trial or plea guilty, it is likely you would go to jail for some period of time and then be required to register as a sex offender after you are released.
Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What about if this is my first time getting in trouble with the law ? That's not going to change anything right ?
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Child porn cases are prosecuted VERY aggressively.

As a first offender you will get credit...you may only have to serve a few months, as opposed the possible decades you likely face.

But it will not prevent them from prosecuting you or letting you escape registration.

Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
The system indicates you have more questions.