Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

In a domestic assault case can wife prevent the D.A. from

Customer Question

In a domestic assault case can wife prevent the D.A. from using the 911 call she made, Can police testify as to what she told them? She was subpoenaed to testify but she does not have to b/c she is the wife, is that correct?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) the site allows experts to opt out of participation in phone calls and I may or may not be able to participate in this feature.
can wife prevent the D.A. from using the 911 call she made
I am sorry, but no. The tape is the property of the police, who can indeed provide it if subpoenaed by the DA.
Can police testify as to what she told them?
Yes.
She was subpoenaed to testify but she does not have to b/c she is the wife, is that correct?
No, incorrect.
While under Rule 504 of the Texas Rules of Evidence, one spouse cannot be made to testify against the other, there is an exception to the rule in a proceeding in which the party is accused of conduct that is a crime against the person of the spouse, any minor child, or any member of the household of either spouse or in a prosecution for bigamy or to matters that occurred prior to the marriage. Assuming the charge is for something related to the above, then this does not apply.
Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I want to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.
Gentle Reminder: Please, use the REPLY or SEND button to keep chatting, or rate positively and SUBMIT your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So then rule 504 does not apply & wife can be made to testify against her will? What if wife is called to the stand & refuses to answer questions or takes the fifth b/c she is the one who began hitting H b/c he was packing up & getting ready to leave her. When he tried to restrain her they both slipped on their dog's poop & fell to the floor.

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
So then rule 504 does not apply & wife can be made to testify against her will?
If the charge fits the description above, then yes.
What if wife is called to the stand & refuses to answer questions or takes the fifth b/c she is the one who began hitting H b/c he was packing up & getting ready to leave her.
The wife can do so. If she simply refuses to answer, she may be held in contempt of court. If she pleads the 5th Amendment, then the D.A. may simply be stuck but then she maybe charged with something, although unlikely.