Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

Iam a nurse and being charged with 3 violations in Orange

Customer Question

Hi Iam a nurse and being charged with 3 violations in Orange County California and would like to know what to expect in regards ***** ***** time and/or fines. I have had no previous convictions. there is currently a warrant out for my arrest w/bail at $20,000
1)Obtain prescription by fraud, deceit or misrepresentation. Violation date 3/29/12
2)Forgery of prescription. Violation Date 3/29/12
3)Unauthorized use of personal identifying information. Violation date 7/17/15
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.
>My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced criminal lawyer.
In California, these are violations of California's Health and Safety Laws. The charges are "wobblers." That is, the state can proceed against you on these charges as misdemeanors or felonies. As a misdemeanor, prescription fraud has a maximum possible penalty of a year in jail. As a felony, the possibilities are 16 months, 2 years, or 3 years in prison. It goes without saying that, either way, your nursing license is in serious jeopardy.
If you were forging these prescriptions to obtain drugs for yourself, on a first arrest, you would typically be offered probation and/or Drug Court. Although jail is possible, the criminal justice system would recognize the substance dependency behind the unlawful acts and help-oriented, non-incarceratory plea offers are possible.
You should contact a local lawyer and let him or her arrange a voluntary surrender on the warrant if he feels that's in your interest. The best way to get released on your own recognizance or to keep bail low enough for you to bond out would be to come in voluntarily rather than wait for the police to take you into court in cuffs.