Barrister, Criminal Defense Law
Experience:  15 years practicing criminal defense.
19958803

An x of mine works lawyer who sealed my criminal record 2

Customer Question

An x of mine works for the lawyer who sealed my criminal record 2 years ago. He is harassing me, threatening that the lawyer said he would "unseal" my record, saying it was a "clerical error". If my sealed record is unsealed, I would lose my professional license. Is this threat valid? Can a criminal lawyer unseal a sealed record, simply out of personal spite, even if he is the one who sealed it 2 years ago?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

Is this threat valid? Can a criminal lawyer unseal a sealed record, simply out of personal spite, even if he is the one who sealed it 2 years ago?

.

No, this is a complete bluff. Once a record is sealed, it can only be opened by a judge, and then only with a showing of severe necessity by some formal agency other than law enforcement (they can always see sealed records). You would also be notified about any type of action and obviously be able to contest it.

.

So the person is simply saying this to irritate and upset you and there is no possible way either he or the attorney could reverse the sealed judgment ruling.

.

.

thanks