Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Numerous criminal trials ranging from traffic to murder, practicing Criminal Law for 20+ years.
11068102

I have a neighbor that is putting her trash in my dumpster.

Customer Question

I have a neighbor that is putting her trash in my dumpster. today I found all kinds of legal documents that she threw out in MY dumpster. I was told that in Colorado it is against the law to put trash in a dumpster that doesn't belong to you, and that I should call the county Sheriff's office and file a complaint. So I called and a deputy told me there is no law against putting trash in someone else's dumpster. This has been going on for a while now and I want it to stop. I want to file a complaint. Is the deputy just telling me this so he doesn't have to come out here and take the complaint??
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts.

No, there is no "Colorado law" that states it is illegal to put your trash in somebody else's dumpster. There could be a local/city ordinance that prevents this if you are in the city limits but it would only be a local ordinance and not one that is state wide. In theory there could be a county ordinance, but the Logan County, CO ordinances other than zoning don't appear to be online, but I've never seen one even in heavily populated counties.

If you pay for the dumpster then you could file a civil action asking for an injunction against the neighbor using the dumpster. Suing for an injunction would almost certainly require an attorney and would be pretty expensive because they are complicated and take a lot of time.

Please ask any follow up questions in this thread.