Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney-at-Law
66887675

I was molested by my youth pastor when I was 14 yrs old. I

Customer Question

I was molested by my youth pastor when I was 14 yrs old. I am now 58. The molester plead guilty and will be sentenced Oct 8th.I live in Alabama. The statute of limitations has run out for me. The victim was molested in the 90s. I was going to testify if it had gone to trial. My question is can I sue the Methodist church for negligence and recover something for all of the pain and suffering I have lived thru for all of these years?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Thelawman2 replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately in Alabama, they have taken a strict view of the statute of limitations in sexual abuse cases. There are some states which permit the person to sue long after the event occurred, however, in Alabama, the state has adopted a strict 2 year period from the date of the injury. Therefore, the statute of limitations as passed and you would be unable to bring the lawsuit.

I'm sorry that you are unable to sue the church in this instance. I hope this has been at least somewhat helpful. If so, please provide positive feedback.