Barrister, Criminal Defense Law
Experience:  15 years practicing criminal defense.
19958803

Mr. Barrister. So I have a big problem here and I'm freaking

Customer Question

Hey Mr. Barrister. So I have a big problem here and I'm freaking out. You seem to give great advice so I wanted to ask you to see what you thought. So I was on craigslist and I saw a post about two girls looking for a guy for sexual activities. I replied and sent my Kik username because they wanted to talk on there. The first message said they were both 15 and wanted to have fun. Instantly i decided I'm not going to meet them because their minors and I said "I'm not sure I want to break the law here." but then they asked me to send a picture of my dick and for some reason I didn't think it was a big deal and I sent one. The next message said that he was a ****** ***** with the state police cyber crimes unit. So now I'm freaking out because I'm 22 and haven't done anything wrong my entire life, it was just a stupid rash decision. He told me if I cooperate that we could work something out. He then tells me he's actually just a freelance newsjournalist and works with a police unit part time but has no arresting powers, but he said he could send this to the attorney and have me charged. Now he wants me to send him a picture of a $100 visa prepaid crazed every two weeks for a year or he said he'll turn the evidence in and have me arrested. I have a feeling he might just be scamming me into this but I don't want to take the chance and get arrested for a stupid random spur of the moment mistake. Do you have any advice to help? Anything would be really appreciated thank you!
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

This is a scam....period. And a known scam at that. Real police don't email or text you telling you that you committed a crime...they show up at your door with a warrant to arrest you and search your computer. The fact that the poster represented themselves as law enforcement and then backed up to another alibi just reinforces the fact that this is a scam.

.

Now, legally if the posters were actually 15, which is highly unlikely, then this could potentially be considered a crime. But the fact that they were trying to extort money from you in return for not "going to the police" makes it a crime on their part as well.

.

So at this point, I would opine that this is simply another scam perpetrated by the scammers trying to take advantage of someone's unwise decision to respond to them. I would simply delete any contact from them without responding and expect that they will become more aggressive with the threats. This is their modus operandi... to scare people into giving them money for fear of being turned in to the police.

.

And obviously it goes without saying that if someone represents themselves as a minor, terminate the conversation without any further response.

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh my God thank you so much, I can't tell you how much better I feel now. Thank you so much for your help! It was a stupid decision that won't happen again. Thanks again!
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

No worries.. I don't think you have anything to worry about. Just be a little more careful in the future..

.

.

thanks