CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Experience:  9+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.
9540344

My son just got s first DWI offense today in Dallas/Texas.

Customer Question

My son just got his first DWI offense today in Dallas/Texas. He made a huge mistake and I am freaking out. On the ticket his BAC>=0.15 which freaks me out even more since Texas changed the law.
He haven't violated any other laws(minor in the car, assault, open container etc). What is the worst scenerio in his case. I really don't want him to go to jail.
Thanks for your help.
Read more: http://www.justanswer.com/criminal-law/5nkua-first-dwi-offense-last-week-dallas-texas-made.html#ixzz3i960Nt6d
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. Below are the worst penalties he can face. As a first time offender, the prosecutor should not seek the max sentence, unless there are facts to support it. Moreover, if he takes a plea deal and does not go to trial, the penalties could be at a minimum level. I know you do not want him to go to jail, but he may have to serve a day or two, if a minimum sentence is imposed.

First Offense BAC of .15 or greater

• Fined up to $4,000 (fines increase when a child under the age of 15 is in the car)
  • 1 year in jail
  • Driver’s License Suspension up to 90 days to 1 year
  • Annual fee of $1,000 to $2,000 for 3 years to maintain driver’s license
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!