Dimitry Esquire
Dimitry Esquire, Attorney
Experience:  I provide general practice and mediation & arbitration services to my clients.
18572087

I purchased a truck in my name, boyfriend co-signed. Less

Customer Question

I purchased a truck in my name, boyfriend co-signed. Less than 2 weeks later he up and left to another state, with the truck, all paperwork, and both sets of keys. I now have the registration papers and license plates. When I tried to contact him, he told me he put the current state of residence plates on the truck. Now his contact number is ***** I have no idea where he is, if he has insurance on the truck, and the first payment is due in one week. How/if could he get another states plates on the truck? What/if any legal steps can I take to possibly get the truck back, or in this instance, can I report it stolen?
Category: Criminal Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its a possibility that IF he put another states plates on the vehicle, they are stolen or taken off another vehicle. I recently found out that he is on parole in Louisiana?! This might help?
Expert:  Dimitry Esquire replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

In what state is the vehicle registered in?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Registered in Texas. As far as I know he's back in Louisiana somewhere, with his wife? Didn't know he was married, and I don't know if that is even relevant to this situation, but if she or anyone else is driving the truck, I believe I can be held liable for anything that could/if happens. Again, last I heard he had "plates /tags" on the truck in Louisiana. I say it's a lie. I, the primary leinholder, should have to sign something I would think?

That's right, you would--you'd have to release the lien as co-signer. The only way he could legally re-title the vehicle to himself or to someone else is if the title was an "OR" or an "AND/OR" title. In other words, if the title listed your name OR his name, he could sell the vehicle on his own, or transfer the vehicle to himself in full or to someone else. Now, you cannot get this reported stolen because he has as much right to the truck as you do, but you can hire a repo company, have them track the vehicle down, and simply 'truck' it back because as owner you are as entitled to have it as he is.

Sincerely,

Dimitry, Esq.