Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor
26296561

My ex husband is accusing me of fraud loans, private student

Customer Question

My ex husband is accusing me of fraud for old loans, private student loans from 2006-2008. He absolutely had knowledge of these loans, we were married at the time. He is now remarried and is threatening to fill out a "fraud packet" from AES and is accusing me of getting these loans without his knowledge. The loans now total close to $65,000.00.
Do I need to hire a lawyer?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be glad to help you.
I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.
Did your husband sign any loan documents?
Can you please provide me with more details.
Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
With it being that many years ago, I honestly don't remember the whole process & the details. I remember some paperwork and some online steps as well.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is the text that I received today.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also have a saved voicemail from him from a few weeks ago. Where he says he "needs to talk to me about these student loans." And nowhere in that message did he say anything about "fraud" or "forged signatures." He absolutely was and has been aware of the loans. As I said, they were originated between 2006-2008.
Thank you for your follow up.
Unfortunately, I am nor permitted to view any actual documents or any external information for JustAnswer.com customers, however, student loan fraud is a serious federal felony crime and if such allegations are made it is important to consult and retain an experienced local criminal law attorney as soon as possible and to let this local attorney handle all and any issues / communications related to the alleged fraud.
You can find an experienced and skilled local criminal law attorney by using this established and reputable attorney information / referral websites:
www.lexmundi.com
www.martindale.com
www.lawyers.com
www.legalmatch.com
When, choosing a local attorney to represent you, it would be a good idea to choose someone who has a practice exclusively dedicated to criminal law, has at least 10 years of experience and handled similar matters and also regularly practices before the court located in the jurisdiction where your matter will be heard.
I wish you the best of luck!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you would advise me to go ahead and get a lawyer at this point?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can someone seriously accuse you of fraud 7-9 years later?! Sorry, I'm just blown away by this whole situation.

Thank you for your follow up.

It is absolutely essential to hire a local lawyer when such serious allegation are made.

Under Title 20, Section 1097(a), student loan fraud if found guilty, the penalty carries a maximum penalty of 5 years imprisonment and/or a fine of $250,000.

And criminal charges can be filed within 5 years from the time the fraud is discovered, so it is not unusual to see federal charges filed even 10-20 years later, when alleged victim claims that he/she just discovered such fraud.

I am very sorry to provide you with this bad news, but please understand that I do have professional obligation to provide JustAnswer.com customers with correct answers, even when answer is not favorable to the customer.

I wish you the best of luck and God bless you!

Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?
If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.
Thank you.
Do you have any related follow up questions for me?