ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

Is it illegal to call a hospital pretending to be a patient

Customer Question

Is it illegal to call a hospital pretending to be a patient to inquire about their appointment time? I live in fl
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Yes, IF the patient did not consent first. This would be criminal use of personal identification information (Florida statute 817.568). Now if there is consent by the patient to do this, then it would not be illegal, as the person calling would be acting as an agent for that patient. Otherwise, it's identity theft, and could be charged as a felony of the third degree).

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

I see that you have not responded in some time. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!