Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
10707909

I was harassed in the Goodwill store by a person who claims

Customer Question

I was harassed in the Goodwill store by a person who claims he was store security wearinplain cloths. He told me to go into the office int he back and bring my shopping cart. This was after I stood in line and paid for my items. He started bullying me and saying if you don't admit to what you did I'm calling the police and your going to get arrested. His voice got louder each time he barked out "You BETTER NOT LIE TO ME". I said I didn't know what he was talking about. Then he took out a cup and I said Oh. He said louder than before. "Know you know what I"m talking about". I said "Yes". What happened was the plate I was going to buy had no price tag on it. So I took a price tag from a cup for 50 cents and put it on the plate. I asked him why he was harassing me for 50 cents. He didn't answer me and barked at me that I was never allowed int he store again. If I enter the store or even on the side walk I would be arrested. I think this was unjust behavior on this security guards part.
Category: Criminal Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I should sue this security guy for harassing, bullying and trying to intimidate me. He wouldn't let me leave the room, he told me he had to take my picture and made me sign my name along with my address on a pice of paper. There was older woman in the room the whole time. She never looked at me and didn't say a word. This guy just keep trying to intimidate me. Telling me never to come in the store again and he saw me in the store or on the sidewalk outside the store I would be arrested. Now I'm getting letters from a law firm all for a incident regarding 50 cents. They demanded $300 the first time. Second letter demeaning $625. Stating if I don't pay Goodwill may consider moving forward with a a statutory civil damages claim against me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

Hello

This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard

So you admitted you removed the sticker from a cup and put it on a plate?

What damages have you suffered by this incident, please? In other words what your suit be based on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't want to sue. It's not worth the time. Even those I was bullied and harassed by the security person. Now I'm being harassed by letters coming from the law firm demanding money. This was about 50 cents. I do admit to taking the price tag off the cup and putting it on the plate. I've read other posts on the subject and most of them say ignore the letters from the law firm. Is that o.k.to do?
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

Hello

Thank you. I suggest if you ignore the letters, you could be arrested and charged with theft. In addition, the lawyers fees will continue to grow, plus any interest on the fine they are requiring. This civil process is legal. I suggest that you can contact the attorney's firm and tell them that you did not steal anything - and that you need to work this out to a reasonable amount that you can afford that if you could afford this cost you would not be shopping in Goodwill. Do not admit to them that you switched any tags.

The bot***** *****ne is they will either work with you or not. It is a crime to switch price tags in an effort to deprive a merchant of their property.

And in lieu of bringing criminal charges, they bring in their attorneys to impose the civil fines. If you are criminally charged with theft, the attorney's can still require the civil penalties if you are found guilty.

Please note that I can only provide information for what you ask. In that regard, if you have other questions or need clarification, please post them here. Otherwise, I appreciate your Positive Rating as that is how I get credit for my time and information.

Thank you