S. Huband, Esq.
S. Huband, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Experienced and knowledgeable criminal defense attorney.
70026054

Got pulled over, i didnt pull over right away becuase i

Customer Question

got pulled over for speeding, i didnt pull over right away becuase i didnt see a place to pull over, so i drove to a gas station, cop was mad for some reason, i asked why he pulled me over and he said he needs my id first, as i was reaching to give it to him he snatched it out of my hand, this was at around 11 pm, very dark outside, he said i was speeding, then gave me a ticket for window tint, he gave me a ticket for having brights on, and for no registration, he never asked to my insurance, we own a dealer ship and do not need to register cars, we dont get registration papers, i called the court and they sent me papers to fill out so i can expain my side of the story and maybe get other charges dropped, i dont know what to do and how to write them, and to plea not guilty or no contest
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  S. Huband, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the opportunity to assist you.
A plea of not guilty means you have a trial. That requires the state to put up its evidence first. You can also cross-examine the state's witnesses (probably the cop) on any relevant points you want to make. You then have the opportunity after the state presents its case to put on your own evidence, including your own testimony.
If the judge believes beyond a reasonable doubt that you're guilty, you'll be convicted and the judge will ascertain punishment. If you're found not guilty, that's it. The case is over.
Pleading no contest skips the trial and goes straight to punishment. You don't get to challenge the state's evidence.
If you wish to fill out the paper, the judge will rule on your statements and decide whether you're guilty or not guilty without you present. You should plead not guilty if you want to challenge the state's evidence in this way.
You could also go to court and ask the judge to fashion a remedy for you. This is frequently what people do when they have a simple traffic offense like speeding, window tint issues, etc.
For example, you could plead no contest to the speeding charge. If you have a good driving record, perhaps the judge will let you go to driving school in exchange for dismissing the speeding ticket.
For the other charges, you could also plead no contest. Have proof showing that you got the window tint issue fixed before court, and explain that you were not required to have a registration since it's a dealer car. Have proof of your dealership status with you in court. You can say that the bright lights were just an oversight on your part and you will be more careful in the future.
I hope my response has been helpful. If you have follow-up questions or concerns on this topic, please ask. I'll get back to you as quickly as I can, although I may not be online at the moment you respond.
Otherwise, I hope you will rate my answer positively as that is the ONLY way I receive credit for my work, and doing so will NOT cost you an additional fee.
Best wishes to you,
Shuband