LawTalk, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years legal experience
15277592

Do I have a case if a employee at pick n save. Stole money

Customer Question

Do I have a case if a employee at pick n save. Stole money out of my wallet. And the manager didn't take me serious about how much I had in my wallet. Didn't believe his employee took my money. Didn't called the police. I had to call in I prove that the employee had my money. I had to wait outside the store while everyone else was inside the store.i feel like I was discriminated against because I'm African American lady
Category: Criminal Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon,
I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.
If a co-employee stole from you, you of curse have a cause of action against that employee for theft. You do not have a cause of action against the employer because they may not have believed you. However, if you believe that you are being discriminated against because of your race, you do have a legal remedy.
Workplace harassment/discrimination is any unwelcome or unwanted conduct that denigrates or shows hostility or an aversion toward another person on the basis of any characteristic protected by law, which includes an individual's race, color, religious creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, medical condition national origin, or ancestry, or other personal characteristic protected by law. A conduct is considered unwelcome if the employee did not solicit, instigate or provoke it, and the employee regards ***** ***** as undesirable or offensive.
If your goal is to ultimately sue in Federal Court, then you will file a complaint with the EEOC. You must file a formal complaint of discrimination with the EEOC within 300 days of the alleged discriminatory act.
You may file a complaint with the EEOC (Equal Employment Opportunity Commission). If your company has 15 or more employees they are prohibited from discriminating against you. To file a complaint with the EEOC, contact the nearest Equal Employment Opportunity Commission field office. To be automatically connected with the nearest office, call(###) ###-#### ***** website: www.eeoc.gov
Federal law specifically prohibits discrimination, based upon the Ethnicity, Color, Religion, National Origin, Age, Sex and Disability of an individual, with regard to hiring, promotion and firing.
After you file the complaint, your employer will be prohibited from any retaliatory action against you. The EEOC will investigate your claim, and 180 days after the filing of the complaint you may ask for a "right to sue letter". The EEOC will issue you the letter which gives you the right to institute a private civil action against your employer and seek monetary damages.
You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.
Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you.
I wish you and yours the best in 2015,
Doug