Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

Can my 23 year old sister get off of probation in

Customer Question

Can my 23 year old sister get off of probation in st.louis,mo early if she is in liver failure, heart problems, seziures, sickel sell, PTSD. Anxiety, doctors notes stating cant work, Bipolar Border line and Im taking guardianship of her in a month. She is on probation for 5 yrs for forgery witch if she had a lawyer she wouldnt even been guilty. I have pshyic and medical; doctors backing me up she only has dropped dirty for marjuiwana
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced criminal lawyer.
As a general rule, a judge will only allow for a favorable early termination of probation when the defendant has no outstanding fines or fees, has completed at least half of his or her probation, has finished all of his special requirements and has never been in trouble while on probation.
In particular, however, a judge would have the power to terminate probation early in the interest of justice if your sister is so ill that it is physically impossible for her to comply with the terms of her probation. The medical evidence is going to be very important to this decision. It also will help if your sister's probation officer supports an early termination.
The prosecutor may object to the early termination, particularly if there's evidence that your sister has been using illegal substances during the course of her probation. But is it possible that she can finish her probation early? Yes. I have seen it sometimes happen.