Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

Can one be prosecuted in the State of Mississippi

Customer Question

Can one be prosecuted in the State of Mississippi for writing bad checks totaling $4700 to $5000 for over 25 years ago but was never charged or convicted?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced criminal lawyer.
Mississippi has no statute of limitations on felony theft and fraud matters, so theoretically this case can still be prosecuted. As a practical matter, however, after 25 years, the state would likely have great difficulty finding the witnesses it would need to meet its burden of proof. If they couldn't manage it 25 years ago, they would be less able to get an indictment against you and prosecute successfully now.
But if they thought they could make it stick, would they be allowed to file these charges? Yes.