Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

I'm 23 years old and she is 16 we been dating years

Customer Question

Hello I'm 23 years old and she is 16 we been dating for 3 years and now we were going to take it to the next level with her parents ok with it. Can I be in any legal trouble?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced criminal lawyer.
It’s great that your girlfriend has understanding parents. However even if they approve, if she is still below the age of consent and anything happens down the road to make your girlfriend or her parents less understanding you CAN be charged with statutory rape. They can't consent to this on her behalf, and in fact could get in trouble too.
If you tell me what US state you are living in, I can tell you if you are allowed sexual contact with her at 16.