How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Delta-Lawyer Your Own Question
Delta-Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 3546
Experience:  Over A Decade Of Criminal Law Experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Delta-Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Recently charged with conspiracy to traffic meth, I am lost

Customer Question

Recently charged with conspiracy to traffic meth, I am lost as to what to do next. I've never been arrested before am a 42 yr old white grandmother of 2. Amount of meth intercepted was 2 lbs and 18 arrested. Well over a week later myself and 3 others were picked up and charged with the same thing as the first 18. What should I do and how much prison time am I likely to get?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
I hope this message finds you well, present circumstances excluded. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of criminal law experience. The possession amount you describe is a felony amount and can carry with it a substantial amount of jail time (20 years). That said, the good news is that you are likely not considered the main conspirator since you were not initially arrested. Moreover, it is harder to prove a case without actual possession by you that is tied directly to you. So, don't give up hope as you can beat this and there will likely be an opportunity to become a witness in order to have a reduced charge (misdemeanor with no jail time). You need an attorney, period. If you cannot afford an attorney, then there is no shame in using a public defender. Work closely with them and hold them accountable. Give the public defender permission to look at deals for you for reduced charges, etc. In the end, you can beat this, but you need an attorney and the public defender is fine. At your arraignment, request an attorney be appointed, if you can't afford one and plea not guilty. Let me know if you have any other questions. Please rate my answer positively as well. Best wishes going forward!
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
Did you have any additional questions or comments. I want you to be as comfortable as possible as you move forward. Thanks!