Barrister, Criminal Defense Law
Experience:  15 years practicing criminal defense.
19958803

My ex and I had an argument. I filed a TRO with the courts.

Customer Question

My ex and I had an argument. I filed a TRO with the courts. He is out on bond since March 2015 for aggravated assault with a weapon in Newark, NJ. Will the TRO have any affect on his case which is currently pending in grand jury? If so, what is the worst outcome that can happen with the pending case in grand jury?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can..The TRO shouldn't have any effect on the pending case because they are completely unrelated matters and a TRO is not considered a criminal offense, it is just an order by the court for the respondent to not have any contact with the petitioner. There may be a separate underlying criminal offense that resulted in the TRO being issued, but that is yet another separate matter. It only becomes a criminal offense if it is violated..So since the grand jury has to make its determination based on the facts and evidence in the initial case, the TRO wouldn't have any effect on their eventual decision. The grand jury isn't "updated" on the defendant's conduct after the case is sent to them so as to mitigate things or make things worse...thanksBarrister