Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
10707909

I just got a DUI, and I would like legal representation. However,

Customer Question

I just got a DUI, and I would like legal representation. However, I cannot afford to hire a lawyer. Should I use a public defender for this? How do I go about getting a public defender?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.
Hello
This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.
The possible penalty for a first time DUI is up to 6 months in jail. As such, any time there is a possibility of jail time, I suggest one should at least consult with a local attorney.
If you cannot afford a private attorney, then I suggest you contact the PD in your county - usually located in or near the court house - and discuss representation.
At this juncture you will have an arraignment and at that hearing you will be asked for your plea. I suggest you plea Not Guilty and tell the court you cannot afford a private attorney and you are consulting with the PD
The link below will give you a copy of a financial affidavit that is use to determine eligibility for the PD to give you an idea
http://www.courts.ca.gov/documents/mc210.pdf
Please note that I can only provide information for what you ask. In that regard, if you have other questions or need clarification, please let me know here. Otherwise, I would appreciate a Positive Rating as that is how I get credit for my time.
​Thank you