Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

I went into an old place of employment, and was caught on camera

Customer Question

I went into an old place of employment, and was caught on camera taking patient consent forms, no breaking and entering, now manager wants to prosecute, what happens now?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced criminal lawyer.
What would typically happen is that your former employer would contact the police and make formal report. They would turn over the video as well. The police, in turn, would turn the matter over to the prosecutor, who would file charges and have you arrested.
Though you say that you were not breaking and entering, you may be wrong about that, depending upon the facts and circumstances of your entry. You don't actually have to break in for a burglary to occur. The door could be wide open. You just have to enter without permission or authority to do so, with the intention of committing a crime once you're inside.
You should take this time now to start looking for a criminal lawyer, because if you know you're going to be charged, it's only a matter of time before you will be arrested. The one thing that you DON'T want to do is to talk to anyone other than a lawyer about this incident, because anything you say about this incident to anyone except your lawyer can be taken and used against you in court. So if you're thinking that there may be some deal that you can make to enable you to avoid prosecution, you should have your lawyer scope out that possibility rather than make any admissions yourself. That way, it can't backfire on you.
I'm not sure that this answers what you want to know, since "what happens now?" is much too general a question. So if I didn't touch upon what you wanted to find out, please reply and let me know and I'll be happy to expand my answer.