CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Experience:  9+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.
9540344

My dog chewed thru a privacy French and killed a wondering

Customer Question

My dog chewed thru a privacy French and killed a wondering cat in my front yard
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 1 year ago.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.
Good evening. Do you know who the cat belongs to? Can you share with me what your concern is?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The cat belonged to my neighbor who works for the humane society. She called animal control. I was given a citation for failure to contain and control and have to go to court on friday
Thank you. Yes, the actions of your dog are your responsibility. You did the right thing by containing the dog and putting up a fence but as a result of the dog chewing through it and killing the cat, you would have to answer to the court, since this did allow the dog to get out per se and attack and harm another animal. If the cat came into and on your property, it may be an a different story and you can always try and argue that the cat should not have been allowed out of the home loosely but it may fail if your dog got through the fence. For something like this, you could be looking at a fine and court costs and I hope there is no issue with animal control and the animal itself, with them seeing the dog as a threat or danger to others.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How will this affect my record? I am a nurse
Would you mind sharing with me the statute/code you were charged under?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ord 955.22 Greene county ohio
You are likely going to be required to also register the dog as a dangerous dog, so keep that in mind. As far as the issue with you being a nurse, this does not go to anything that would or should effect your ability to perform your job. If your employer has a policy that requires you to disclose something like this, you would need to do it but it is not necessarily something that should result in your termination.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I read the Ord 955.22 it all has to do with off my ptoperty. This all took place on my property
here is a link to the code. There are many mentions of the dog on your property contained within. http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/955.22
Is there anything else? I will be leaving shortly and wanted to answer all your questions prior to